{i regret everything}- a short story for the school newspaper contest

     I regret absolutely nothing. No not nothing, maybe but probably -ABSOLUTELY- nothing. Lana thinks to herself as she apathetically folds the stained sheets from last night and carries them to the laundry room. It’s not like it’s my first time and the first times always end in regret. Lana continues to ponder, she’s a wise heartbreaker, she knows how to manipulate, lie and cheat and then clean up when the act is over. But after all, is done, she still never knows if she regrets a single thing. No, I don't regret it! Not at all, it just confused me when he looked at me that way...his eyes watching me, his eyes, when he knew what I had done. Lana wonders as she dips the sheets into a bowl of bleaches and disinfectants, watching sadly as the stains dissolved into a fading yesterday. It’s over. It’s done. It’s already forgotten, maybe it simply never happened. Lana tries to convince herself as she pulls her bra off over her head and holds her breath to avoid the wretched. dry. smell. I’ve gotten attached to it all’ here alone in this quiet London apartment, I’ll get used to it, I know I will.  Lana disdainfully drops her bra in the bucket and dumps the concoction into the washing machine, standing back to watch as it tosses around her ugly messes. And once I get used to it, I won't ever regret a thing, I shall only be proud. satisfied, Lana leaves the laundry room, topless and bold, climbing up the stairs and into the washroom, she pushes her hip against the washroom cabinet, she must keep it closed. I don’t know why I should regret a thing, If anything, I’m doing him a favor, cleaning the world of its impurities, I do my job in style. Lana sits by the tub and turns the faucets, she sits back and stretches her back, like a cat awoken from a nap; she yawns.  This world is full of mistakes, perhaps it’s god plan that I discard those mistakes- in his honor! Yes yes. Lana checks if the water is warm enough and pulls off her panties, untying her hair, and looks down her toned legs as her blond hair sweeps down like a curtain. Stupid boys. The dark early morning washroom contrasts to a glowing bath, the pale water blanketed by a creamy layer of bubbles, Lana sinks in, her beautiful body cleansed. What if he came back? What if he haunts me now? The other ones didn't see it coming but him…Oh, I should have known he was brighter than the rest. The washroom cabinet breaks open with a jarring swing and out he comes, his body grey and bloody and with a knife still deep in his neck and his eyes…Oh god, his eyes..are wide open and surprised. Lana turns her head to look, annoyed at the inconvenience. She slowly gets out of the bath, wrapping a towel around herself and tucking it closed. She kneeled beside him, barefoot. That does it. I regret everything. Lana decides as she lays on his chest, spouting more brown blood with her weight, she looks into his wide eyes casually. I wish I could take it back, sew his neck shut and give him a new life. I’m sorry David. Lana kisses him on his cheek, cold and dead.

Comments

Popular Posts