I was still there "negative spaces" jabberwocky submission #2 poem

I was there

Somewhere, sleeping in time

Waiting for you to pick up on the other line

Haggard Hollow Houses

Along thin paper roads

Even when morning announces

We’ll be up, catching toads


I was still there

Rolling in the lawn

If it’s a race, you’ll beat me at it

Shy as a fawn

Quick as a rabbit


I was there

When the storm came through

Shut every window, hide in the tub

It’s too bad how spring always flew


I was still there

When you swallowed the mud

Collapsed are the lungs

Long days of silence

Cold water runs

Baby’s breath, violets


I was there

We bury the innocence

Here a child lies

Your mother, how she cries


I was still there

Empty is your space

The periwinkle haze

Absent in your thoughts

I miss you when december rots


Comments

Popular Posts